Filing for a Business

Filing a Business Name

Anyone who conducts a business under a name other than his or her own must file a business name with the County Clerk of the county in which the business is being conducted. To file a business name, you need to complete the necessary documents. These forms can be downloaded or obtained from most commercial / legal stationery stores and attorneys. Some of these forms include:

View a complete list of available forms.

Completed Forms

Once the appropriate forms are completed and notarized, you may bring or mail them with the appropriate fee to: Nassau County Clerk's Office

Division of Business Names
240 Old Country Road
Room 107
Mineola, NY 11501

Conducting Business in Other Counties

If you plan to conduct business in other counties, you must file your business name with the clerk of each of those counties. Opening the Business

Once your business certificate is filed, you may conduct business within the county. However, there may be other municipalities and authorities you may wish to contact to ensure that you are complying with all federal, state, and local obligations. The County Clerk's Office is not a licensing agency. You may visit other sites, including the Department of Consumer Affairs and New York State Department of Education for more information.

Public Information

Business certificates on file in Nassau County are available for public review at no charge. Incorporation papers, once filed with New York State, are forwarded to the County Clerk where they are indexed and available for public access. Search for Corporation and Business Entities filed in New York State.

Nassau County Public Information

However, if searching for a particular business entity in Nassau County, you can visit the Clerk's Office at 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, New York 11501, Monday through Friday during the office hours from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please try to arrive no later than 4 p.m. as we are unable to research or process any transactions after 4:30 p.m.

Formal Search

If you wish, you can request a formal search. The search can be performed by the office staff for a fee of $5 per name searched, per two-year period.


Corporation filings are handled directly with New York State, not the County Clerk's Office. Contact the: New York State Department of Division of Corporations

One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Ave.
Suite 600
Albany, NY 12231
Ph: 518-473-2492

Find more information regarding corporation filing, forms, and fees. You may also wish to consult an attorney.

Obtaining a Federal Tax ID Number

Sole proprietorship, partnerships, limited liability companies, and corporations, (including "S" corporations and non-profit corporations) must have a federal tax ID number. The federal tax ID number is known as the Employer Identification Number (EIN). The quickest and easiest way to get a form is online. Download the Form SS-4.

Office of the Internal Revenue Service

The local office of the Internal Revenue Service is located at: 999 Stewart Ave.

Bethpage, NY 11714
Ph: 800-829-4933 / 516-576-7428

New York State Sales Tax

For information concerning the collection and filing of sales tax, contact: New York State Department of Taxation and Finance

Sales Tax Registration
W. Averill Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12227
Ph: 518-485-2889

For forms, you can call 518-457-5431 or view the New York State Sales Tax guide.

Additional Business Assistance

In Nassau County, there are a variety of resources available. Among them are: