Consumer Affairs Jurisdiction

Before filling out a consumer complaint form, make sure it is a topic handled by the Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs. Problems with utilities including phones, banking, mortgages, and insurance are handled by the following agencies. You may contact them at the following addresses and phone numbers.

  • Banking & Mortgages 
    New York State Banking Department
    Division of Consumer Affairs 
    2 Rector Street 
    New York, NY 10006
    Ph: 212-618-6445
    Ph: 800-522-3330
  • Insurance - Home, Health & Auto
    New York State Department of Insurance
    Consumer Services Bureau
    25 Beaver Street 5th Floor
    New York, NY 10004
    Ph: 212-480-6400
    Ph: 800-342-3736
  • Plumbers & Electricians
    The towns, cities, and villages in Nassau County license plumbers and electricians. Contact your local city, town, or village concerning problems in those fields.
  • Utilities - Phones, Water, Gas, Electric, Cable
    New York State Public Service Commission
    One Penn 8th Floor
    New York NY 10004
    Ph: 212-290-4312
    Ph: 800-342-3377

The towns, cities, and villages in NassauCounty license PLUMBERS and ELECTRICIANS. Contact your local city, town or village concerning problems in those fields.

Please be advised that we do not handle complaints on businesses located outside of Nassau County. An example of this would be something purchased through the mail or internet from a company in another state. 

If you live in Suffolk County or New York City and your complaint involves a business located outside of Nassau County we cannot handle your complaint.

We cannot handle your home improvement complaint if the house is not in Nassau County. Please contact the Consumer Affairs Office where the home is located.

Consumer Complaint Form