Christopher Morley Park
Christopher Morley Park
500 Searingtown Road, Roslyn NY 11576 – 516-571-8113 (Rink: 516-571-8123)
Christopher Morley Park is set on 98 acres is centrally located in the northern part of the county. The park has been in the Nassau County park system since 1961. The County paid $704,000 for the property, which was the former Estate of Nettie Ryan and included the Links Golf Club. The park is named after Christopher Morley, one of the foremost American "men of letters" in the 20th century, a prolific writer who produced more than 50 books, including several popular novels, plays, poetry and essays. He also edited two volumes of "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations" and was a founder of the Book of the Month Club.
Christopher Morley Park provides a range of recreational activities and beautiful hiking trails.
In 1966, nine years after Christopher Morley's death, the writer's friends and neighbors had the Knothole transferred to one of Nassau County's parks in Roslyn-North Hills, subsequently named Christopher Morley Park. The renovated Knothole includes built-in bookshelves, a fireplace and a bunkbed. But the public has been most intrigued over the years by the Knothole's "dymaxion" bathroom, which was designed in 1936 by Morley's friend, Buckminster Fuller, the renowned scientist and inventor. It is a one-piece, pre-assembled unit. Programming is planned for Summer 2021.:
- Ten indoor tennis courts; for more information visit Christopher Morley Tennis.
- Four handball/paddleball courts (no lights).
- Four basketball court.
- Athletic fields include three baseball fields (softball and hardball, including Little League) and volleyball courts.
- A recently renovated playground provides a variety of activities, including a nontraditional climbing apparatus.
- There are unreserved (first come, first served) and reserved (Leisure Pass and fee) picnic areas, which include barbecue equipment. In-person picnic reservations begin on Monday, April 5 2021.
- The park features a 9-hole, par-30 golf course. The course is 1,603 yards, with holes ranging from 97 yards to 267 yards. Nassau County Golf.
- The park has a one-mile Fitness Trail that provides a jogging or walking trail and 20 attractive and simple fitness stations incorporating a variety of exercises. These include stretching, pull-ups, sit-ups and balance walking exercises that increase slightly in difficulty as the trail proceeds. The trail begins on the north side of the park entrance by Searingtown Road, heads east past both the Dog Run and the woods before working its way past the baseball fields and playground, finally ending by the parking area overlooking the pond. The Fitness Trail is open year-round.
Outdoor ice rinks available for public skating sessions from November to March.
- The outdoor swimming pool complex includes an Olympic-sized pool, diving tankwith boards and a "kiddie" pool. Lockers and showers are available. Swimming pool will be open late June, through Labor Day.
- Hours: Mon.-Sun., 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Fees (daily): Resident adult, $8; resident child (4-17 years of age), $6; senior, disabled, vol. firefighter, ambulance corps, auxiliary police, veterans, $6; non-resident adult, $16, non-resident child, $11. A Leisure Pass is required for residents to receive the resident rate.
- A dog run is located on the north side of the parking lot by the Christopher Morley "Knothole." The dog run is open year round. Please note that dogs are allowed on specifically marked nature trails as long as they are leashed.
- The park features 30 acres of peaceful and beautiful wooded nature trails that provide an ideal area for a leisurely stroll or jogging.
- There are courts for horseshoes and shuffleboard.
- A Farmer's Market operates at the park on Wednesday's from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. The market is open mid-May through late November.
To reach Christopher Morley Park, take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 36/Searingtown Road exit (from east or west). Take Searingtown Road North and look for the park entrance on right (about 200 yards from the LIE).