Over fifty people attended Legislator Carrié Solages’ Second Annual Veterans Day Appreciation Breakfast held at American Legion Post 1033 in Elmont on Saturday, November 8th. Veterans had a valuable opportunity to network with advocates and community leaders focused on providing job search strategies and other essential resources to veterans who often confront obstacles after returning to civilian life.
As the Ranking Member of the Veterans & Senior Affairs Committee of the Nassau County Legislature, Legislator Solages emphasized the importance of honoring our nation’s bravest on Veterans Day and throughout the year. Lecia Rodriguez-Whyte, Commander American Legion Post 1033, was delighted to receive a surprise donation from Dr. Fritz Fils-Aime of several computers for veterans to use at the post while they are job-seeking.
Several attendees expressed that they have been seeking ‘hands on’ assistance for their benefits and employment services. “Too often, veterans become forgotten, vulnerable people on the fringes of society,” said Legislator Solages. “As a community, we came together at the Appreciation Breakfast to let veterans know they are not alone. We appreciate the sacrifices they made and are here to make sure they have the tools and resources to thrive in civilian life.”
The following veterans received citations at the breakfast:
Commander Lecia Rodriguez-Whyte
Aubrey Phillips Sr.
Legislator Solages would like to thank the following Community Sponsors for helping to make this a special event:
NY Racing Association
Haitian American Veterans Association
Photo (l. to r.)
1. Steve Hargett, member of Elmont American Legion Post 1033
2. John Fealey, member of Elmont American Legion Post 1033
3. Manuel Rodriquez, National Guard, honoree
4. Lieutenant Colonel Gary Port, Vice Commander Post 81
5. Maryann Phillips, representing honoree Michael Phillips Sr. – US Marine and WWII veteran (deceased)
6. Legislator Carrié Solages
7. Sal Martella, US Army Veteran, honoree
8. Lecia Rodrigues-Whyte, US ARMY Veteran, Commander of Elmont Post 1033, honoree
9. Fritz Fils-Aime, US Navy, Vietnam Veteran, honoree